|Randy Myers||1992, 1998|
Anyone we’re “missing”? Remember that some guys who might rub us the wrong way (Jim Leyritz) did make positive contributions to the team.
Seems obvious, but it bears repeating that winter-league stats represent an extremely small sample. Take them with the appropriate buckets of salt.
- Saguaros 9, Mesa 3 (box). Will Venable went 1-for-5 with a strikeout while batting cleanup and DH’ing.
- Culiacan 11, Mexicali 4 (box). Jared Wells gave up the game’s final three runs. Among other things, he walked ex-Padre Ruben Rivera (who went 1-for-3 and scored three runs) and struck out Pete LaForest (who finished 2-for-5 with 2 RBI). Benji Gil? Karim Garcia? Funny the names you see in winter ball.
- Estrellas 6, Escogido 5 (box). Vince Sinisi, batting third and DH’ing, went 3-for-4 with a walk.
- Navojoa 16, Obregon 5 (box). Looks like maybe the Mexican Pacific League has a mercy rule; this one went seven innings. Oscar Robles singled and walked in five trips to the plate. Luis Cruz, playing third base and moving up to #6 in the order, doubled in five at-bats.
- Caribes 10, Caracas 8 (box). Right-hander Paul Abraham came on to strike out the final batter in the ninth inning of his team’s loss.
Whoomp, there it is…