Pads got spanked. Curt Schilling vs Ismael Valdez; you were perhaps expecting some other outcome? Right.
Anyway, it says here that I’ve been blogging now for three years. Egads. I’m not a big anniversary kind of guy, but this does give me an excuse to throw out some props to everyone who reads, links, talks about, or otherwise supports Ducksnorts. Some of you I’ve had the pleasure to meet personally, many more I’ve exchanged e-mails with. But the vast majority of you I do not know, and it blows me away that you keep coming back for more. Our readership has nearly tripled in the last year alone. Big thanks to all of you for making it happen. Your support keeps me going.
The three folks I have to single out are my wife, the guys at Fanstop, and Baseball Think Factory. How my wife puts up with this, I haven’t a clue. But I’m beyond grateful that she does. As for Fanstop, the folks on that board have such a passion for the Padres and the game of baseball. Even though I can’t always participate in the discussion as much as I’d like, I try to follow along every day. And every day, I learn something from them. Finally, Baseball Think Factory (formerly Baseball Primer) has given me a chance to reach a much wider audience, and I appreciate that.
Okay, we’re starting to get maudlin now. Suffice to say, thank you. A real posting (hopefully about Stage III of our Cal League tour) will appear in this space Monday. Meantime, here are few “nuggets” from the past three years:
- Tuesday, June 12, 2001 — A monster is born. Thoughts on Jake Gautreau (spelled with an “x” at the end; what, there are two of him?), ESPN’s center field camera, and the mercifully inimitable Ray Knight.
- Sunday, June 23, 2002 — Jake Peavy’s big-league debut; Oliver Perez vs the Yankees.
- Thursday, January 2, 2003 — The beginning of a new year, the beginning of our study of John Sickels’ prospect rankings and win shares. Keep reading up the page for the whole series.
- Friday, May 9, 2003 — 10 Reasons to Love/Hate La Jolla. Pretty much speaks for itself, I think.
- Thursday, August 28, 2003 — First game of the Brian Giles era in San Diego.
- Monday, September 29, 2003 — Farewell to the Q. We don’t really miss it, but there was a sadness to this day.
- Monday, December 1, 2003 — One of our better mailbag sessions. Thoughts on the Billy Wagner to Philly trade, the meaning of the term “ducksnort,” and Gary Bennett’s value to a pitching staff.
- Monday, March 1, 2004 — Petco Pix. The single most popular item ever at Ducksnorts. Almost too popular, heh.
Gotta run. Let’s see if we can take one from the Yankees this weekend…