I’m knee deep in the “Padres Best By Position through History” chapter of the book, so we’ll keep it brief today. Thanks to everyone who has been sending me excellent links.
- Tony Gwynn Prospect Retro (Minor League Ball). John Sickels takes a look back at Gwynn’s minor-league days.
- My Take on Cedric Hunter (Minor League Ball). I’ll ruin the surprise and say that Sickels likes him. Fascinating stuff in the discussion — especially the comps to Trey Beamon. In his ’96 book, Sickels rated Beamon a B+ prospect, saying that he “could be Tony Gwynn, or he could be Hosken Powell.” And that was after a season at Triple-A. So when we talk about Hunter (and this is something I mentioned on Monday night’s podcast), although it’s great to be enthusiastic about his future, we need to remind ourselves every so often that numbers in Rookie Ball don’t mean a whole lot. That said, I’m enthusiastic about his future.
- Marcus Giles detained after fight at Qualcomm (San Diego Union-Tribune). Not the kind of headlines you want to be making as the new guy. Or as any guy, really.
- San Diego Padres Mom. New Padres blog alert. [Tip o' the Ducksnorts cap to Gaslamp Ball]
- Padres 2007 FriarFest. From the site: “The Padres annual FriarFest will be held at PETCO Park on Saturday, January 27 and Sunday, January 28, from 11:00 a.m. â€“ 3:00 p.m. FriarFest is your chance to meet your 2007 Padres players and get autographs, purchase exclusive game-used items and go behind the scenes at PETCO Park.” Tickets are $5.
The other item I wanted to mention is that I’ll be doing another radio show tonight. It’s on WMAR in New York, and the interviewer is none other than our very own Ryguy. Because I’m lazy, I’ll just copy and paste the promo piece:
Listen to WMAR Marist Radio on Wednesday, January 17, 2007, from 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT to 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. We will be joined by Geoff Young and Jeff Sackmann to talk baseball. Both Young and Sackmann write at The Hardball Times. Jeff Sackmann will join us at about 8:20 p.m. ET/5:20 p.m. PT to talk about his blog, BrewCrewBall.com, and talk to us about the Brewers and what his thoughts are on the hot stove league thus far. Geoff Young from Ducksnorts and KnuckleCurve.com will join us at about 8:40 p.m. ET/5:40 p.m. PT to talk about his book project, his team the San Diego Padres and his breakdown of the NL West. We will also get some fantasy insight from them as we ask for the top 5 players on each team and some early predictions on how their divisions will shake out.
At 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT we will be joined by Kenpom.com‘s Ken Pomeroy, ESPN Insider and College Basketball expert, to break down the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
You can listen at the following links [Ed. note: -- these should open in iTunes]:
If you can’t catch us live, subscribe to our podcast. You can also catch our past two podcasts through the subscription.
- Podcast main page
- Podcast XML (put in iTunes and it works):
Also we will be taking IMs during the interviews if anyone has to add anything, IM our AIM screen name is “MaristRadioAM”.
So, you know. Like, be there.