Two quick notes about comments:
- I love the discussion that’s happening every day and I’m especially glad to see so many new names in there this year.
- Time constraints make it difficult for me to jump in as often as I’d like, but I do read everything and get inspired by what you have to say.
Anyway, just thought you should know. Let’s link…
- Marse Joe’s last hurrah (Hardball Times). Steve Treder examines the tail end of Hall-of-Fame manager Joe McCarthy’s career.
- Sabermetricians: Help! (Sports Central). Brad Oremland, like many folks these days, wants to know which of today’s statistics are worth using. [h/t BBTF]
- Mike Adams: Better Than Your Team’s Closer (Baseball Nation). Adams gets love from someone other than a Padres fan. [h/t Gaslamp Ball]. Here, too [h/t reader Didi]… I smell conspiracy.
- Predicting Shutdowns and Saves (FanGraphs). And it’s not just Adams… as you know, the entire Padres bullpen has been great. Again.
- A Soria Subject (Baseball Prospectus). Mike Fast checks in on the former Padres farmhand. What is Craig Stansberry up to these days, anyway?
- Less from Latos (Inside the Padres). From Tom Krasovic’s article:
Chipper Jones sees a Mat Latos who is less aggressive than the Mat Latos who pitched against the Braves twice in 2009 and once last year.
It’s one man’s opinion, but I’m not sure I like that. Maybe we are seeing 2006 Jake Peavy again?
- Does Roberto Alomar belong in the Hall of Fame? (Hardball Times). Yes.
- Do Good Minor League Systems Lead to Major League Success? Part 1 (Beyond the Box Score). I haven’t digested this yet, but it looks promising.
- The BA Experts Pick: Our Draft Experts Select Their First Round (Baseball America). Fun stuff for the draftniks…
- Life Lesson with Tom Watson (Joe Blogs). The obligatory Posnanski…
- How difficult to develop a 50-game winner? (SweetSpot). Sweet-Spotter-in-Chief David Schoenfield examines the last three 50-game winners developed by each National League franchise. Peavy is the obvious first choice for the Padres, but can you remember the other two?
There you go. Talk and stuff…