My favorite color is red… no, blue. Next?
* * *
- Ask BA (Baseball America). Jim Callis discusses the recently revealed top 100 prospects list, touching on the near-misses, including Padres farmhands Jaff Decker, Reymond Fuentes, and Cory Luebke. [h/t Watson Files]
- Dorfman understood baseball’s mental side (MLB.com). Peter Gammons remembers the late Harvey Dorfman, one of the most respected men in baseball who worked with, among many others, former Padres Bob Tewksbury and Greg Maddux.
- Even for Hall of Famers, Spring Training remains baseball’s proving ground (Baseball Hall of Fame). Gammons relates a fun story about Carl Yastrzemski and San Diego’s Ted Williams. [h/t BBTF]
- Pictures From Peoria (Avenging Jack Murphy). Looks great. I’ll be out there on Sunday; anyone else?
- Byrnes back in the game, assisting GM Hoyer (Padres.com). Fluff piece on former Arizona GM Josh Byrnes, who is now the Padres senior VP of baseball operations.
- Baseball Stat Acronyms Pronunciation Guide (Beyond the Box Score). I am one of the few people I know who pronounces “OPS” as “Ops.” I get ridiculed for it on occasion, which matters a lot.
- 1955 MVP: A Detective Story (Joe Blogs). Posnanski talks (and talks) more about the late Duke Snider.
- Profiling Masterson (Hardball Times). Lucas Apostoleris takes a closer look at former SDSU Aztecs right-hander Justin Masterson.
- Fourth Time’s the Harm (Baseball Propsectus). Jeremy Greenhouse investigates the issue of pitcher stamina.