After yesterday’s ridiculously long article, we’ll keep it simple today. With spring training upon us, I have three questions for you:
- Are you planning to attend spring training this year?
- Have you ever been in the past?
- If so, do you have any stories to share?
* * *
- The virtual 1951-58 Pittsburgh Pirates (Part 3: 1955-56) (Hardball Times). This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Padres, but Steve Treder’s alternate realities are such fun. See also Part 1 and Part 2.
- Padres sign righty Geary to Minors deal (Padres.com) With Kevin Correia gone, the Padres needed someone from Grossmont High School to represent. Go Foothillers!
- Active Players With Fewer Career Walks Than Barry Bonds Had IBB in 2004 (Beyond the Box Score). Koooooz! [h/t THT]
- Hundley welcomes challenge of everyday role (Padres.com). No leashes for Latos, no hand-holding for Hundley… what’s next, no vacuums for Venable?
- The Projection Rundown: The Basics on Marcels, ZiPS, CAIRO, Oliver, and the Rest (FanGraphs). More forecasting fun.
- Seamheads.com Ballparks Database (Seamheads). Oh, man, is this cool. I’ve linked to the Padres page, which provides information on every ballpark the MLB version has called home — including the four games they played in Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey and the three at Aloha Stadium. Seriously, head over and get your geek on.
- San Diego Padres All-Home Grown Team (Baseball Gauge). Speaking of cool… Would you believe Chase Headley is the third baseman? Hmmm, on second thought, maybe that’s not so cool.