I don’t have a lot of links today, so before we get to those, let’s do a quick recap of this winter’s moves so far:
- Geoff Blum, INF: Signed with Houston Astros
- Milton Bradley, OF: Signed with Texas Rangers
- Doug Brocail, RHP: Signed with Houston Astros
- Mike Cameron, CF: Free agent
- Jack Cassel, RHP: Signed with Houston Astros
- Scott Cassidy, RHP: Signed with Milwaukee Brewers
- Brady Clark, OF: Free agent
- Morgan Ensberg, 3B: Free agent
- David Freese, 3B: Traded to St. Louis Cardinals
- Marcus Giles, 2B: Free agent
- Jason Lane, OF: Free agent
- Rob Mackowiak, INF/OF:
- Terrmel Sledge, OF: Signed with Nippon Ham Fighters (Japan)
- Mike Thompson, RHP: Signed with Pittsburgh Pirates
- Brett Tomko, RHP: Free agent
From what I can tell, the Padres will receive a supplemental pick in the 2008 draft for Brocail and another for Cameron (once he signs with someone). They will not get one for Bradley, who was not offered salary arbitration. I don’t believe anyone else will net compensation; let me know if that’s wrong.
- Callix Crabbe, INF: Acquired from Milwaukee Brewers via Rule V draft
- Jeff DaVanon, OF: Signed as free agent
- Jim Edmonds, CF: Acquired from St. Louis Cardinals via trade
- Robert Fick, C/1B: Signed as free agent
- Michael Gardner, RHP: Acquired from New York Yankees via Rule V draft
- Carlos Guevara, RHP: Acquired from Florida Marlins via trade
- Tadahito Iguchi, 2B: Signed as free agent (1 yr, $3.85M)
- Mark Prior, RHP: Signed as free agent (1 yr, $1M)
- Luis Rodriguez, INF: Claimed off waivers from Minnesota Twins
- Glendon Rusch, LHP: Signed as free agent (1 yr, $850k)
- Randy Wolf, LHP: Signed as free agent (1 yr, $4.75M)
- Mauro Zarate, RHP: Claimed off waivers from Florida Marlins
None of the players signed will cost the Padres any picks.
The organizational tree has been updated to reflect these moves. Now back to your regularly scheduled links:
- MB at Friar Forecast examines bullpen usage in the NL West in 2007 and offers suggestions on how the Padres might better leverage the back end next year.
Joe Hamrahiat Baseball Digest Daily offers his thoughts on the revamped Padres rotation. Among other things, Joeincludes a link to this video breakdown of Mark Prior’s delivery done by friend of Ducksnorts (and now enemy of Padres Nation) Carlos Gomez.
- Ex-Padre Gaylord Perry weighs in on cheating and the Hall of Fame (Boston Globe).
- Tom Verducci at Sports Illustrated has a nice blurb on Trevor Hoffman (via Phantom in the comments).
- A Cubs blogger talks about Prior. So does a local paper. These are very tame compared to some of the stuff that’s out there. Seems folks in Chicago feel about Prior the way Padres fans feel about, oh, Ruben Rivera or Sean Burroughs. Only differences I can see are that a) the Cubs actually got a good year out of Prior and b) their fans are way angrier. Seriously, there’s a lot of bitterness toward the guy if you look for it. Try the Internet.
Happy Friday, yo.