Greetings from Vegas…
- Doggie Bagged: Maddux Re-Ups for 2008 (322 Feet). One of the newer Padres blogs (welcome!) talks about the Greg Maddux deal.
- Maddux leads list for NL Gold Gloves (MLB.com, via Phantom in the comments). Speaking of Maddux, congrats to him on winning his 17th Gold Glove award. I’ve had no use for the Gold Glove since the Rafael Palmeiro Fiasco, but it’s a nice honor.
- Padres can take heart in success of Rockies (North County Times). John Maffei chats with Baseball America‘s John Manuel, who likes the direction the Padres are headed but notes that they’ve still got a ways to go.
- Speed and defense (Hardball Times, via Didi in the comments). Mitchel Lichtman, esteemed creator of ultimate zone rating, comes up with some interesting findings. Fast center fielder in Petco Park? Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.
- Searching for Hunter’s Replacement (AaronGleeman.com). Several folks gave me the heads-up on this handy list of available center fielders and the pros and cons of each.
- 2008 Top 50 Free Agents (MLB Trade Rumors, via Phantom in the comments). Tim has Barry Bonds, Maddux, and Freddy Garcia coming to San Diego. Bonds isn’t going to happen, Maddux already has, and Garcia might not be a bad fit if the price is right. Others of note: Mike Cameron to Astros; Geoff Jenkins to Tigers; Milton Bradley to Cubs. Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but I still think Bradley returns, with Jenkins being another option.