Happy Monday, folks. I hope you are able to steer clear of all those fires…
Friday, October 19
- Mesa 2, Saguaros 0 (box). Will Venable, DH’ing and batting cleanup, went 0-for-4 with a strikeout. Matt Antonelli started at second and went 1-for-2 with a walk in the #7 hole. Nick Hundley batted ninth and went 0-for-2 with a walk. Will Startup needed six pitches to work a scoreless ninth.
- Aguilas 4, Escogido 2 (box). Vince Sinisi played left field and batted fifth for Escogido, doubling twice in four at-bats.
- Navojoa 11, Culiacan 1 (box). Oscar Robles, playing shortstop and batting second, collected three singles and a walk in six trips to the plate. Luis Cruz, starting at second base and batting seventh, went 2-for-4 and scored a run.
Saturday, October 20
- Javelinas 5, Saguaros 4 (box). All the Padres rode pine.
- Estrellas 5, Escogido 4 (box). Sinisi, batting third, did a nice Russell Branyan impression: two-run homer, walk, and three strikeouts. Ex-Padre Juan Melo, playing first base, went 4-for-4 with a walk.
- Culiacan 4, Navojoa 3 (box). Robles went 0-for-4 with a strikeout; he’s playing shortstop exclusively for Navojoa and batting in the #1 or #2 spot. Luis Cruz, again at second base and in the #7 hole, singled and walked in four trips to the plate. He also committed an error in the seventh on a grounder off the bat of ex-Padre Ruben Rivera, who came around to score the run that forced this one into extra innings. Ex-Padre Pete LaForest started at first base for Culiacan, while Castle Park’s Benji Gil collected three hits as DH.
Sunday, October 21
- Navojoa 5, Culiacan 4 (box). Robles went 0-for-5; Cruz, starting in center and finishing at second base, went 0-for-4.
Sunday’s results from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela were unavailable as of this writing.