Busy, busy, busy…
- Scouting Jake Peavy (Baseball Analysts, via Jim Parish in the comments). Joe P. Sheehan dissects the repertoire of Jake Peavy.
- Brian Giles has surgery on knee (San Diego Union-Tribune, via Tom Waits in the comments). Brian Giles, who has been having trouble with his right knee since April, is expected to be ready for Opening Day 2008. Also, the possibility of Matt Antonelli leading off next year is mentioned.
- Overachievers, ey? (Friar Forecast). MB isn’t impressed with Nick Canepa’s latest. (Neither is Dex at Gaslamp Ball.)
- Coming up short: Padres were a good team, but couldn’t overcome obstacles (North County Times). Dan Hayes looks back at the season that was and offers suggestions for the future.
- Bradley won’t be suspended for incident (Los Angeles Times). Quoth Bob Watson: “If his manager hadn’t gotten him, we’re talking a whole different situation.”
- Hoffman accepts blame for defeat (Padres.com). Quoth Trevor Hoffman:
You can’t really point to any other factor than my performance tonight. It’s a burden I’m going to have to deal with.
Actually, you can point to many small failures throughout the season. This is not on any one moment or person.
- Rockies Celebrateâ€¦ But He Still Has Not Touched Home Plate! (San Diego Spotlight). Not to dwell on it, but Rich offers his thoughts regarding the Matt Holliday/Tim McClelland fiasco that ended the Padres season. Be sure to read the comments; unintentional humor is the best kind.
- Speaking of which, by request, we now have Waiting for Holliday shirts available. I’m going to do some housecleaning at the store over the next few weeks, so if there’s something you’ve had your eye on, now might be a good time to get it.
- California League Top 20 Prospects List (Baseball America, via Peter Friberg in the comments). Antonelli checks in at #4, while left-hander Wade LeBlanc is ranked #12. No love for Kyle Blanks.
- 101 Best Baseball Blogs of 2007 (LA Snark, via Gaslamp Ball). I’m overjoyed to be ranked #44, which as we all know has been retired by the Padres in honor of Willie McCovey. Furthermore, it’s the number Peavy wears.
- 2008 Baseball Free Agents (Knuckle Curve). Calling my own number here; I’ve gathered a few links for tracking potential free agents this winter. Might come in handy while we’re trying to figure out how to shore up the Padres’ various holes.
- OOTP league and Sunday softball openings (Friar Watch). Anthony is looking for softball players. I’m in, if that makes a difference.
Most Commented Posts
On another note, someone was asking about this the other day; here are the top 5 non-IGD threads at Ducksnorts:
- Blum, Bocachica, and a Slice of History (June 7, 2007)
- Jake the Efficient (September 27, 2007)
- Padres Poised to Pop Pitcher (June 6, 2006)
- Till It Hurts, Kiddo (September 27, 2006)
- Padres, Mets Swap Spare Parts (November 16, 2006)
I love that our fifth most heavily commented thread ever came in November. We are such geeks.
I’ve also been reminded of an old thread about which ballparks we’ve visited. I’ll need to update my list to include the parks I stopped by on the way to Cooperstown this summer. Feel free to hop on over and add your own if the spirit moves you.
And as always, we’ve got a boatload o’ links at del.icio.us. Happy reading…
If ’08 is the last year in a Padres uniform for Hoffman, OG, and Maddux, then there will be money available to sign Peavy to fair-market 3 or 4 year deal. Jake should be the face of the franchise after Hoffy retires, from the typical fans’ perspective, and I think the FO knows that, too. Sign him to the deal, and you have the option of trading him later if he starts to significantly decline or the team really starts to suck.
OT … what’s Alex Rodriguez doing here?
102 … and here?
#102 & 103
Treating “crabs” (it’s a supposedly “tight” clubhouse)?
Excellent! I’ll be sending that to my Yankee-loving friends on Monday. Good ol’ A Rod — you can always count on him for a few dumb laughs!
Turning to rugby World Cup, the All Blacks lost to France. Ouch!
Re: 106 bleh
Go Wallabies! But I think im going to root for Argentina, its kind of cool to see a non power house making some noise in the world cup. It gives the US a little hope for years to come.
107: Except the Wallabies lost to England.
The best thing about the All Blacks losing is that everyone at work will know how I felt on Tuesday….
Interesting from North County Times on Trevor:
109: Pretty lame, on both sides. We do a better job debating that question of Trevor done or not.