I saw Brian Giles last night. There should be more to this story, but there isn’t. All I can say is that presumably he likes pizza.
To the links:
- MB at Friar Forecast is ready for some hot-stove action (that sounded better in my head): hitters | pitchers. The back end of the rotation needs serious work. Why do I fear we haven’t seen the last of Shawn Estes?
- Holliday Never Touched the Plate (via Masticore317 in the comments). This is an excuse to pimp my T-shirts.
- What’s the deal with Kousuke Fukudome? (Friar Watch, via Steve C in the comments). As Steve notes, “The more I think about it the less I like signing Fukudome if he cant play CF.” Totally agree. Speaking of center field, Peter and I were talking the other day, and he threw out an interesting name — the Cubs’ Eric Patterson. He’s Corey’s younger brother — less power, but has a clue at the plate. He’s only played 23 games in center, which makes him something of a project. Assuming he’s even available…
- Chat: Kevin Goldstein (Baseball Prospectus, via LynchMob in the comments). The relevant exchange:
James (Lubbock, Texas): Kevin, off the top of your head who has the most improved farm system from this time last year to today? My Rangers have to be in the conversation, if not at the top of the list.
Kevin Goldstein: The three teams that immediately come to mind are the Rangers, Padres and Nationals.
It easier to make this sort of list when you’ve got the longest climb, but still…
- Texas League Top 20 Prospects List (Baseball America, via Peter Friberg in the comments). Padres are well represented here: 3B Chase Headley ranks #2, 2B Matt Antonelli is #6, and RHP Joshua Geer checks in at #19.
- 2007 Minor League All-Stars (Baseball America, via Steve C in the comments). Antonelli is named to first team, Headley to second team. Sweet…
- Missions Named Texas League Team of the Year (Our Sports Central). Nice welcome to the new organization, no?
- Portland Beavers Player of the Year (MadFriars). Denis and John talk about the Padres Triple-A affiliate — some quotes from Grady Fuson and Portland skipper Rick Renteria. There weren’t a lot of prospects at this level in ’07, but I wonder if Vince Sinisi could help the big club off the bench next year?
- Baseball Mogul 2007. Warning: This will eat up loads of your time. Baseball Mogul 2007 is now available as a free download. I’ve been playing around with this sim since before the Padres signed Ron Gant, and it rocks. [Hat tip to myself at Knuckle Curve.]
- Javelinas 14, Saguaros 2 (box score). Battle for supremacy in Peoria. Heh. Nick Hundley and Antonelli both took 0-fers in limited at-bats. (Neither started, but both entered when game got out of hand.) Will Startup and Neil Jamison coughed up six runs over the final two innings. All three of Startup’s were unearned, and he can thank Antonelli for that.
No Padres played in the Mexican League on Thursday, and I’m not sure about the Venezuelan League. Wiki Gonzalez went 0-for-4 playing for Lara, but this hardly qualifies as news.
I have no idea whether any current Padres farmhands are playing in Venezuela. While looking, I came across an old article by Clay Davenport on translating winter league stats. The usual caveats apply, but it’s a fascinating exercise.